Blog

Create your own ClassiPress Child Themes

Tested on WordPress 4.2.1  &  ClassiPress Version: 3.4.1

On wpMorphed.com you can find several mods,  hacks and ClassiPress Child Themes for your business site. It’s highly recommended to use all those modifications and hacks inside a child theme to avoid losing your work after updating the parent ClassiPress software to a newer version.

I assume you have ClassiPress already purchased, succesfully installed and activated. If not, start doing it from here:

Get ClassiPress

Now that ClassiPress is installed and running (and before we do anything else) you need a child theme. You don’t have one? No problem, let’s create:

ClassiPress Child Themes

What you (always) need:

– FTP Client (installed on your Windows computer) Download FileZilla
– Notepad++ (installed on your Windows computer) Download Notepad++

Let’s start with creating the necessary files. Open your Editor (Notepad++) and paste the following code inside:

Save the above as a Cascade Style Sheet type (css) and call it style.css

Open a new file in your Notepad++ and paste the following code inside:

Save the above as a PHP Hypertext Preprocessor type (php) and call it functions.php

Now open your FTP Client (FileZilla) and move to your /yourwebsite/wp-content/themes/ folder. Inside that folder you will also see the original ClassiPress main theme. But we don’t touch that one! Create a new folder and call it classipress-childtheme

Mark the two files that you have created before and copy them inside the new /wp-content/themes/classipress-childtheme/ folder. Copy the following screenshot and upload it also to the /wp-content/themes/classipress-childtheme/ folder.

screenshot

Now create another folder inside your classipress-childtheme folder and call it images

Upload or copy all your images from /classipress/images/ to /classipress-childtheme/images/

You are done! Time to activate your own new child theme. Go to your WordPress Admin area and move to Appearance => Themes. You will now see your new child theme somewhere listed. Just click on “Activate” That’s it!

You are now running your own Child Theme!

Was this tutorial usefull for you? Please give me a rate below. Thank you! :)

Create your own ClassiPress Child Themes 4.89/5 (97.71%) 35 votes

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “Create your own ClassiPress Child Themes”

1. Pedro July 27, 2013 at 09:38 #

Hi Rolf:
    First of all, thanks for the tutorial.
    Is it required “Disable Core Stylesheets” in the admin classipress setup advanced option?
    What does disable the core ?

2. Rolf Hassel July 27, 2013 at 10:03 #

Hi Pedro,
    Next to the style.css you have a folder with the default styles from ClassiPress. (/classipress/styles/) They are called red.css, blue.css etc. Those css files get called depending on what color sheme you have activated (ClassiPress => Settings => General [tab]) The style files (blue, red, green, aqua….) content the way colors get displayed. So you only need to “Disable Core Stylesheets” if you are planing to use your own color creations. But if you disable it, you will need to set all the things in your style.css that are usually in the color sheme css. An easy solution would be to copy the whole content from red.css and place it in your /childtheme/style.css. Then you checkmark “Disable Core Stylesheets”. You can now modify all the colors directly in your /childtheme/style.css

Cheers

3. Pedro July 31, 2013 at 10:00 #

Hi Rolf :
    Thank you very much for the clarification.
    Cheers.

4. ouali August 5, 2013 at 11:38 #

Hello Rolf;
    Thank you for this useful Tuto. I’m using ClassiPress 3.3 and I’d like to modify the theme-sidebars file. I copied it from the parent theme and pasted it in the child one, I modified it, but I cannot see any changes!
    I’d like you to help me.

5. toptop August 18, 2013 at 07:21 #

hi great tutorial i have managed to set up the child theme, the only problem is i am trying to ad a couple of small shadow box text areas or banner areas on the template between the catagories shadow box and just listed area, do i have to add the code to the functions then to the style.css in the child theme any ideas thanks

6. Sanjay August 31, 2013 at 18:18 #

Hi,
    Your website is really helpful to me.
    However now I stuck in using below code in child theme:

function cp_child_add_region_field( $args ) { $args[‘custom_fields’][‘region’] = array( ‘internal_key’ => ‘cp_region’ ); return $args; } add_filter( ‘cp_csv_importer_args’, ‘cp_child_add_region_field’ );

Whenever I add above code in functions.php file of child theme it gives me error as
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘=’, expecting ‘)’

I request you to please help me in this situation as I am not able to launch my website due to this problem.

Regards